Saturday, May 9, 2009

Movie reviews

So I've been out and about watching a few movies and I've had my fair share of disappointments and surprises... here's my reviews:

1. X-Men Origins: Wolverine


I came into the cinema with the expectation that this movie would be at least half decent. Now that I think about it, it did meet my expectations 'cause the movie only ended up being half decent. Everything leading up to the ending was pretty good but for some stupid reason, everything went downhill as soon as he landed on the island. Some parts of the ending didn't make a whole lotta sense and the final fight scene between Wolverine, Sabretooth and Deadpool was complete epic fail. I'll give props for the scene where Hugh Jackman runs naked across a field and also jumps off a waterfall naked... hot stuff *wink wink* hehe For some reason, I couldn't stop giggling about this scene when I was telling people about it!!! I also give props for the Daniel Negreanu cameo [for the poker fans out there]. Anyway, I reckon this movie was hyped up way too much before it was released. Most will be disappointed.

2. Defiance


This was my surprise movie. I got called to watch this movie at the last minute and I figured I'd give it a chance since Daniel Craig was in it and I like the James Bond movies he's done so far. So after getting into the cinema about 15-20 minutes late, we missed the beginning of the movie so it took a little while to figure out what was going on. Once I did that, I got into the movie. Considering I hadn't even heard of the movie until I got called out to watch it, this movie turned out to be really good. It has a pretty good blend of action, drama and romance and it's not over the top either. On top of that, the guy who plays Sabretooth from 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' is in this movie too and I liked his character way more in this movie. I'm not usually a fan of war movies but I make the occasional exception. I made that exception for 'Life is Beautiful' and I'll make the exception here too. I highly recommend people go out and watch this movie.

3. Red Cliff [赤壁]


I read reviews on this movie before I watched it and it got pretty rave reviews. I'm not usually one to believe all the hype behind a movie 'cause more often than not, it turns out to be a huge disappointment. Not in this case. It's a John Woo film and anyone who knows John Woo knows he can make pretty epic films [except the ones he made in Hollywood, so I've heard]. The addition of Takeshi Kaneshiro [金城 武] and Tony Leung [梁朝偉] made it an even better watch 'cause I've been a long-time fan of both these actors. This was really well-made and I wish I wasn't half asleep when I watched it 'cause I think I might've missed out details here and there which would've helped my understanding of the story better. Make sure you're awake and willing to sit a while 'cause this movie is nearly 2.5 hours long and with the second part, it's around 5 hours long altogether [the movie's split up into 2 parts like 'Kill Bill']. I can't wait to watch how this ends. To be continued...

No comments: